Portable Composting Toilet
Own this product? Write a review!
How to Operate the MOBILE
Customer Reviews For This Product
The MOBILE is a medium capacity self-contained composting toilet that's specifically designed for use on boats and RVs. This unit is certified by the US Coast Guard and is one of a kind. For the first time, people can go wherever they want without having to worry about pump outs. Now travelers can recycle their waste without polluting water and dealing with messy chemical toilets.
Because the MOBILE needs to deal with potentially violent motion, it has been completely marinized, meaning that the finishing drawer is gasketed and the air intakes are baffled to prevent any leaks from escaping the unit. A special drum lock ensures that the composting drum is held upright under all sea or road conditions. The MOBILE also features a fold-away footrest with spring-loaded legs and a safety release mechanism so it can be easily removed for accessing the finishing drawer. Additionally, strong mounting brackets are attached at the rear and base of the unit, so it can be bolted to the floor in installation.
The MOBILE features a vertical 3" vent stack coming out the top of the unit and running straight upward. In boat installations, it is optimal to have the unit vent above deck level, though we know that this isn't always possible. For that reason, the MOBILE comes with a filter box to be fitted into the vent stack. This filter contains zeolite and carbon for removal of ammonia odors and ensure odor-free operation at deck level.
The MOBILE has various electrical components including a fan assembly to ensure odorless operation and a thermostatically controlled heater that warms and helps evaporate liquid. These components can be configured for either AC or DC systems. When placing your order, you will need to specify whether you want the unit configured for a 12 volt DC system or a 110/115 volt AC electrical system.
The MOBILE composting toilet has been tested and certified by the NSF for residential use and by the United States Coast Guard for use on boats. This means that it has been tested to NSF/ANSI Standard #41-1999, the only standard for composting toilets in North America, and it is certified to operate odorlessly and produce a clean, safe compost. For verification, please see Sun-Mar's NSF Listing and the U.S. Coast Guard Certification Letter.
Operation of the MOBILE:
- At the time of start up, add some Compost Sure (peat bulking material) into the Bio-Drum™ together with some Microbe Mix.
- The toilet will compost any type of toilet paper without problems.
- For ongoing operation, add Compost Sure as specified in the product instruction manual. Every 2-3 days, rotate the drum 5 or 6 full revolutions.
- When the Bio-Drum™ is half to 2/3 full, move some of the compost to the finishing drawer. This can be accomplished by simply releasing the drum lock and rotating the drum backwards. Finished compost will drop into the finishing drawer and you never come into contact with fresh material.
- When compost is moved to the finishing drawer, it should be left there for at least 4 weeks so it can finish and sanitize. In the finishing drawer, it will be isolated from contamination by fresh material in the toilet. Once 4 weeks have passed, you can remove the finished compost from the finishing drawer at any time. The drawer is easily pulled out by hand without tools.
- The finished product is clean, dry, non-offensive, and sanitary. It will look and smell just like any other regular compost that might come out of a garden composter.
- Self-contained waterless unit
- Can be configured as an AC or DC unit, per your specification
- If you specify AC, electrical features will consist of (12V) 5.5 watt fan and 200 watt thermostatically controlled heater
- If you specify DC, electrical features will consist of a (12V) 5.5 watt fan and (12V) 90 watt thermostatically controlled heater
- Features the patented Bio-Drum™ for composting capacity of 3 adults (weekend use) or 1 adult (continuous use)
- NSF tested and certified for a continuous 6 months at maximum rated capacity (click here to view NSF certification)
- U.S. Coast Guard tested and certified for use on boats (click here to view USCG certification letter)
- We're sorry, there is no color choice available on the MOBILE; this unit comes in Bone color only
- All Sun-Mar units feature 3-chamber technology:
- The patented Bio-Drum™, for mixing and aerating the compost
- The Evaporating Chamber, for evaporating excess liquid
- The Finishing Drawer,for keeping finished compost separate from unfinished material
- View Dimensional Line Drawing
- View AC Configuration Product Instruction Manual
- View DC Configuration Product Instruction Manual
- Installing the Filter Box
- Information on Zeolite
- Composting Capacity:
- Residential & Continuous Use: 1 Adult
- Weekend & Vacation Use: 3 Adults or a Family of 4
- Please note, family numbers above include both adults and small children
- Electrical Specs for AC Configuration:
- Max Amps (with heater on): 1.0
- Fan Watts: 5.5 (12V)
- Heater watts (when thermostat switches it on): 160
- Average Power Use in Watts (heater on 1/2 time): 80
- Electrical Specs for DC Configuration:
- Max Amps (with heater on): 8
- Fan Watts: 5.5 (12V)
- Heater watts (when thermostat switches it on): 90 (12V)
- Average Power Use in Watts (heater on 1/2 time): 50 (12V)
- Vent & Drains:
- Vent Pipe: 3" sewer pipe
- Drain: 1" O.D. (Drain should be hooked up when unit is installed so that any excess liquid which is not evaporated may drain into a holding tank, small removable container, or other approved facility.)
- Unit Dimensions: 19-1/2" W x 23" D x 30" H
- Shipping Carton Dimensions: 29" L x 22" W x 37" H
- Height of Footrest (when in use): 11-1/4"
- Height (footrest to seat): 17"
- Footprint: 17-1/4" W x 19-5/8" D
- Rough-in Measurements:
- Depth required to remove finishing drawer: 38"
- Vent outlet center distance from left side (looking at back of unit): 7"
- Height to top of vent outlet assembly: 33"
- Depth with footrest: 30"
- Unit shell is constructed of durable fiberglass
- Product Weight: 45 lbs.
- Shipping Weight: 80 lbs.
- This product ships via common carrier truck line from Tonawanda, New York
- Limited Manufacturer's Warranty:
- 5 Years on shell
- 3 Years on all other parts
- For complete details, please see our Warranty Information page
Please note, there is a 20% restocking fee on all returns of this item. For complete details, please see our store Return Policy page.
NOTE: Free Ground shipping for contiguous United States (lower 48 states) only. Sorry, we do not ship outside the contiguous United States (lower 48 states).
Model: Sun-Mar Mobile powered by photovoltaic, installed 1998
Location: Cedarville, CA
Reviewed By: Ed and Wendi Lutz
are a couple of photos of our composting toilet. We use the composter
at our remote high desert home. Friends are always fascinated when they
first see the composter. It certainly provokes thoughts on solutions
for the need to conserve water here in the arid West.
See More Reviews for this product...
|Accessories for this product...